Sony HVL-F45RM Flash
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Powerful flash lighting at guide number (GN) of 45
- Operates as on-camera flash, radio wireless commander or receiver
- Wirelessly Supports 15 units in up to 5 groups
- Recycling time of approx. 2.5 sec. and up to 210 bursts
- High visibility dot-matrix LCD and tab-structure menu
- Quick Navi control interface to change settings fast
- Custom key settings to assign frequently used features
- Compact, lightweight, reliable dust and moisture resistant design
- Flexible bounce head; 180° left/right, 150° up and 8° down
- Powerful LED light for movies and stills
Powerful, compact flash with a maximum lighting output up to GN45 has radio wireless communication that supports multi-flash photography and professional shooting. The HVL-F45RM ensures sufficient illumination even with bounce lighting or high-speed-sync (HSS) and the radio capabilities allow it to be used as a transmitter or a receiver at up to 98 (approx.) feet with up to 15 units in up to 5 groups*, making it an ideal fit for creative lighting with multiple flashes.
Compact yet powerful
Master the light in your photography with the HVL-F45RM. This compact wireless flash packs a powerful guide number 45*1 and recycles in as little as about 2.5 sec. 3, supplies reliable stamina for as many as approx. 210 bursts1, and even delivers sufficient illumination for bounce lighting or high-speed-sync (HSS) flash. Whether you’re professional or enthusiast, it’s the versatile small flash for sophisticated output. It’s ideally suited for use with Sony’s mirrorless cameras.
Advanced abilities for the widest range of shooting situations
Wireless radio-controlled flash gives you the most consistent results without pairing errors. Control signals can reach receivers even in challenging conditions such as distant locations, strong sunlight, or when the flash is behind the subject, which can make optical flash sync difficult or even impossible. The compact clip-on HVL-F45RM flash can operates as an on-camera flash, radio wireless commander or receiver in multi-flash setups to meet your off camera creative lighting needs.
Multi-flash photography via radio wireless communication
Radio wireless communication is available in addition to conventional optical communication. Since this flash unit can be used as both commander (to send signals) and receiver (to accept signals), it supports a wide range of shooting conditions. As a commander, this flash can be paired with other HVL-F45RM units or combined with optional wireless radio commander (FA-WRC1M) and receiver (FA-WRR1) for use with other compatible flashes and studio lights. It can connect with up to 15 compatible off-camera flash units or receivers in up to 5 groups2. You can also take advantage of wireless firing and varied output flash level control for flashes up to 98ft. away.
Downsized with dust and moisture resistant design4
Equip yourself for varied shooting conditions with this compact lightweight clip-on flash. Dramatically reduced in size and weight from the HVL-F43M, the new HVL-F45RM is ideally suited to the 7 series. Reliability built with a dust- and moisture-resistant design4 for confident outdoor shooting. It’s a smaller, easier-to-carry flash for convenient use in field, studio, and wherever you need adaptable lighting support.
High visibility dot-matrix LCD and tab-structure menu
Usability has been maximized with a new large, bright LCD display. Enjoy intuitive operation with an easy-to-read dot-matrix LCD designed for enhanced visibility. It uses the same tab-menu structure as the camera to support quick setting changes in shooting situations.
Quick Navi and customizable to change settings fast
Speed up lighting setup and operation with Quick Navi and key customization function. One press of the function (Fn) button calls up the Quick Navi screen, letting you directly change shooting settings with ease. In addition, you can easily assign frequently used features to custom keys and the control wheel, enabling assignment of various settings including lighting compensation level and power level. The HVL-F45RM also provides a memory setting function (MR1/MR2) to register frequently used modes and combinations of adjustable values for easy recall.
Bounce head for flexible lighting
Rotate the flash bounce head up to 360° horizontally — 180° in both left and right directions — and tilt it 150° upward and 8° downward. You can freely position illumination to match changing shooting needs depending on shooting situations
Powerful LED light
The powerful built-in LED light supports shooting stills and movies in dimly lit venues.
Flash distribution setting
Types of flash distribution can be selected from standard (STD), GN priority (CENTER) or Wide-angle priority (EVEN).
High-speed(HSS) sync with wireless flash support
While conventional sync shooting requires the shutter speed to be the same or slower than synched flash speed, this narrows the aperture, making it difficult to capture background bokeh effects. However high-speed sync (HSS) flash can be used at any shutter speed — even up to the highest shutter speed provided by the camera. This allows aperture increases as needed to create a narrow depth of field, keeping the subject in perfect focus against a blurred background for beautiful portrait shots. Wireless high-speed sync is also possible with compatible cameras.
Through-the-Lens (TTL) wireless flash
Even when performing wireless flash shooting, flash output can be determined based on accurate measurement of the amount of light through the lens. Since the user can freely change position and direction of the flash unit exactly as desired, it’s possible to soften intense shadows and suppress blown highlights when shooting a subject from right in front (of the subject), or add soft shadows that emphasize a sense of depth and presence. Wireless flash ratio control is available.
Lighting control with Advanced Distance Integration (ADI)
The HVL-F45RM works in conjunction with ADI-compatible camera and lenses with built-in distance encoder for high-precision ADI lighting control. By acquiring accurate distance information between the lens and subject, ADI delivers precise flash intensity control. ADI is virtually unaffected by the reflectance of subjects or backgrounds, achieving TTL lighting control for higher precision of flash level control on the basis of precise distance information.
Auto zoom control optimized for image sensor size
The HVL-F45RM automatically selects the appropriate flash coverage for the focal length of the lens on the attached camera within the range from 24mm to 105mm. This function also adjusts the flash zoom to match the camera’s image sensor size. Since flash coverage differs significantly for cameras using 35mm full-frame and those with APS-C size image sensors for example, this intelligent function automatically provides the optimum light distribution depending on image sensor size.
Auto White Balance Adjustment
Color temperature at time of flash shooting is affected by the guide number and flash type in use. With Auto White Balance Adjustment, color temperature information is automatically transferred from the flash unit to the camera for correct white balance setting, thereby enabling more natural color reproduction.
Multi/Micro USB ports
The HVL-F45RM features a Multi/Micro USB port for supporting firmware update to the latest version via connected PC.
1 At 105 mm and ISO 100 in meters
2 Up to 5 groups in GROUP mode setting, and up to 3 groups in TTL or Manual mode settings.
3 According to Sony’s internal measurement conditions.
4 Structure is designed for dust and moisture resistance but does not prevent all dust or moisture ingress.
5 Wireless radio communications supports only compatible cameras. For compatible cameras, refer to support page of Sony's web site. http://www.sony.net/flash/f45rm/
In The Box
- Sony HVL-F45RM Flash
- Connector protect cap (1)
- Mini-stand (1)
- case (1)
|DIMENSIONS (APPROX.)||W 2 3/4" x H 4 1/2" x D 3 1/2" (69.4 mm x 113.7 mm x 88.3 mm)|
|WEIGHT (APPROX.)||11.2 oz (317 g) (only main unit)|
|TYPE||Auto electronic flash (clip-on type) with pre-flash metering|
|SHOE TYPE||Multi Interface Shoe.|
|MAXIMUM GUIDE NUMBER||45 (flash coverage setting 105 mm, ISO100 m)|
|FLASH COVERAGE||AUTO/MANUAL (24 mm–105 mm) angle of view at 15 mm focal length is also covered with the wide panel|
|FLASH DURATION||Approx. within 1.7 ms (1/1 MANUAL)|
|COLOR TEMPERATURE||Approx. 5,500 K|
|FREQUENCY||Approx. 0.1–2.5 seconds (alkaline battery)/Approx. 0.1–2.0 seconds (Ni-MH battery)|
|REPETITION||Approx. more than 210 times (alkaline battery)/Approx. more than 270 times (Ni-MH battery)|
|CONTINUOUS FLASH PERFORMANCE||40 flashes at 10 flashes per second1|
|BOUNCE ANGLE||UP 150°(0°/30°/45°/60°/75°/90°/120°/150°) DOWN 8°, Left and right 180°(0°/30°/45°/60°/75°/90°/120°/150°/180°)|
|FLASH CONTROL||Flash control using pre-flash (P-TTL/ADI|
|POWER LEVEL SWITCHING||22 levels (1/1-1/128) 1/3 steps|
|HIGH-SPEED SYNC (HSS)||Yes|
|BUILT-IN WIDE PANEL||Yes (15 mm)|
|BUILT-IN BOUNCE SHEET||Yes|
|RADIO-CONTROLLED WIRELESS FLASH||Yes (commander/receiver)3|
|FREQUENCIES||2.4 GHz band|
|CHANNELS||14 channels (Auto/Manual)|
|COMMUNICATION DISTANCE||Approx. 98.43 ft4|
|GROUPS||3 groups (TTL/MANUAL), 5 groups (group flash photograp|
|MAXIMUM FLASH UNITS||15 units|
|LIGHTING RATIO CONTROL||3 groups (TTL)|
|OPTICAL CONTROL WIRELESS FLASH||Yes (controller/remote)5|
|COMMUNICATION DISTANCE||Approx. 16.4 ft 4 6|
|LIGHTING RATIO CONTROL||3 groups (TTL)|
|CENTER LUMINANCE INTENSITY||Approx. 400 lx (1.64 ft)/Approx. 100 lx (3.28 ft)|
|LIGHTING DISTANCE||Approx. 3.28 ft (when recording movies, set to ISO 3200 & F5.6)|
|FOCAL LENGTH SUPPORTED||35 mm (35 mm-format angle of view)|
|CONTINUOUS LIGHTING TIME||Approx. 4 hours (with Sony AA-size alkaline battery)|
|COLOR TEMPERATURE||Approx. 5,500 K|
|POWER LEVEL SWITCHING||10 steps|
|AUTO ZOOM CONTROL OPTIMIZED FOR IMAGE SENSOR SIZE||Yes7|
|FLASH DISTRIBUTION SETTING||Yes|
|AUTO WB ADJUSTMENT WITH COLOR TEMPERATURE INFORMATION||Yes7|
|CUSTOM KEY SETTINGS||Yes|
|LCD PANEL||Yes (Dot matrix)|
|MULTI/MICRO USB TERMINAL||Yes|
|POWER SOURCE||Four AA-size alkaline or Ni-MH batteries|
|DUST AND MOISTURE-RESISTANT DESIGN||Yes8|
|What's In The Box||
Connector protect cap (1)9|
1 Normal flash, power level 1/32, 105 mm, Ni-MH battery.|
2 Depending on the camera, this function may not be available. For details, see product information page. http://www.sony.net/flash/f45rm/
3 Requires Radio Control Wireless Flash (sold separately) or Wireless Radio Receiver FA-WRR1 (sold separately) or Wireless Radio Commander FA-WRC1M (sold separately).
4 Based on Sony's measurement conditions.
5 Requires Optical Control Wireless Flash (sold separately).
6 May vary according to conditions.
7 Except DSLR-A100.
8 Structure is designed for dust and moisture resistance but does not prevent all dust and moisture ingress.
9 Warranty and operating instructions are excluded.
Roberts Camera is happy to offer our customers a flexible financing option powered by FuturePay. It’s secure, convenient, and easy to use. Just select FuturePay when you check out so you can buy now and pay later.
Apply and Check Out in Seconds
You can easily apply for an account in seconds when you check out. And with monthly payments starting as low as $25/month, you can buy now and pay later for your purchases at your own pace.
No Hidden Fees
At the end of every billing period you can pay your balance in full or carry your balance a month longer for as little as $5/month. Simple and transparent so you can plan for the future.
Safe and Secure
You can apply for financing without worrying about your online safety. FuturePay keeps your information secure by using the latest in fraud prevention security tools.
Questions about FuturePay services, financing, or your FuturePay account should be directed to FuturePay. Roberts Camera / UsedPhotoPro do not provide any of these services directly. To contact FuturePay, use the information here:
Roberts’ flexible financing option is powered by FuturePay.
We understand that your shipping options can sometimes be confusing and you may have questions. We hope that this explanation helps to clarify how your item will arrive to you. Above all, we make every effort to save you money and get your product to you quickly and in fantastic condition.
Shipping information for products on robertscamera.com and usedphotopro.com:
- Your order of new products over $100 will ship free of charge. The free shipping method will come via the standard method of our choice of carrier.
- All USED items in condition ‘GOOD’ or better ship free regardless of price
- Our $100 order total is calculated after all rebates, coupon codes and additional discounts have been applied. Gift cards, freight charges and taxes do not count towards the $100 total.
- *Exceptions to this rule – exceptionally large items (ex: large bags, savage paper, etc.) that are dimensionally weighted by our shipping carriers will not qualify for free shipping and will incur shipping charges
- *Free shipping applies only to the contiguous 48 states. Orders to Alaska, Hawaii, and international locations do not qualify for our free shipping promotions.
- *Any upgraded or expedited shipping choice by the customer will incur an additional charge
- *Items that are special order or drop-shipped from our manufacturers and vendors may be ineligible for free shipping
- *Used items in FAIR or INOPERABLE condition are not eligible for free shipping
- PO Boxes are NOT eligible for free shipping
Due to an increased risk of fraud in the electronics industry, most items ship with signature required on delivery.
The Carriers We Use
We will ship your order in the most cost effective manner available to us.
We utilize multiple carriers to get you the best rate. Those options include, but are not limited to:
- Ground Delivery
- 3rd Day
- 2nd Day
- Next Day
- Home Delivery
- Ground Delivery
- 3rd Day
- 2nd Day
- Next Day
- First Class Mail
- Media Mail
- Priority Mail
- Priority Mail Express
A Few Additional Things To Note
- Shipments to PO boxes can only be shipped via US Postal Service
- PO Boxes are NOT eligible for free shipping
- International shipments may incur additional shipping charges. You will be notified via email of those charges and you can chose at that time to accept or decline. Taxes, duties and other fees may be charged by your destination country. Roberts is not responsible for those fees, nor does Roberts have the ability to estimate those fees. You will be charged all shipping and additional fees associated with any item returned because of non-delivery. This includes but is not limited to: Failure to pay said duties and taxes, incorrect address, not available to receive package in timely manner resulting in package being returned to Roberts or Used Photo Pro.
- Gift Cards ship USPS 1st class or you can use our on-line electronic delivery option and an email will be sent with gift card information
- You will receive an email with your order tracking number once your order has shipped
- Order cut-off times:
- Monday – Friday: Your order will ship same day if your order is placed by 1:00pm EST
- Saturday/Sunday: Any order placed after 1pm on Friday will ship on Monday
ALL ORDERS ARE SUBJECT TO APPROVAL BY OUR PROCESSING DEPARTMENT. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME IF YOUR ORDER MAY BE DELAYED.
Our Return PoliciesFor the first 14 days do not complete your manufacturer's warranty cards!
At Roberts Camera / UsedPhotoPro, we understand that sometimes you might have a change of heart and decide that you need to return your product. Therefore, we are proud to offer a 14-day Hassle Free Return Policy. If you would like to return your purchase within fourteen (14) days of receiving it, please contact our customer service department so that we may assist you and issue you a return authorization. Sending merchandise without authorization may delay your return. Items returned must be in the same condition that they were received and must include all items (including box and accessories) that they shipped with in order to be eligible for a full refund.
- All returned merchandise must be accompanied by a sales receipt and be returned within 14 days of purchase.
- All used items over $1500.00 are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
- No refunds or exchanges on special order merchandise.
- All merchandise must be returned in its original packaging. If a warranty card was included, it must be returned BLANK and not completed. Once the warranty card is completed, we cannot help you by exchanging your item and any problems will have to be handled as warranty claims with the manufacturer.
- Merchandise purchased 'As Is' may not be returned for any reason.
- After 14 days, products in new condition will be subject to manufacturer's warranty and the warranty card included with your product should be consulted for information on getting your product serviced or replaced. Roberts Camera will happily mediate this process for you. If you so desire, see our Repair Policies below for more details.
- After 14 days, merchandise cannot be returned to Roberts as new stock.
- After 14 days, functional products may be returned to us as used stock. The value you will be offered for products in this case will be determined by current used market value. To request a quote on the value of your used gear, please click here
- Sales of all sensitized materials including film, paper, video and audio tape are final. There will be no returns, refunds or exchanges on these items.
- Drones: No returns on drones unless due to manufacturer defect. If defective, they must return prior to 7 business days of receiving the item. All repairs on DJI drones must go through dji.com.
Initiate a Return
If there are any questions or problems with your order, please feel free to contact your salesperson or the following web services departments directly, as we will work to get you completely taken care of:
- If your product was ordered via robertscamera.com - please contact us at 1-800-726-5544 or email@example.com to process your return
- If your product was ordered via usedphotopro.com or our eBay store - please contact us at 317-917-7055 or firstname.lastname@example.org to process your return
- If your product was ordered via Amazon, please contact us at email@example.com
- If you have a product that you need to return due to initial defect or otherwise, please call us at 1-800-726-5544 to obtain a Return Authorization Number (RA#). If an RA# is not obtained, it may delay any credits or replacements requested.
We know that during the holiday season, you might be purchasing some gifts that cannot always be properly tested out within our standard 14 day return policy. That is why during the holiday season we offer an extended return policy for your convenience! For any purchase made between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, please indicate in the gift message area that your purchase is a gift. This will qualify you to return any purchase made during the holiday season NO LATER THAN JANUARY 10th. Your item must be in the same condition that is was received and be returned with the receipt as well as the original packaging to receive a full refund. After January 10th, merchandise cannot be returned to Roberts as new stock. All other return policies apply.
Our Rewards Program
Roberts and UsedPhotoPro appreciate all of our customers very much. We know that you have many, many choices when you shop and we are grateful that you have chosen to place your trust in us. And to reward you for that, we think that you should get a little something back when you shop with us! Therefore, we are very pleased to roll out an updated rewards program to not only say thank you for shopping with us, but also to thank you for sharing us with your friends and family!
Our rewards program gives you the opportunity to earn real money towards your next purchase through signing up for an account with us, shopping, leaving reviews, sharing your purchases and favorite products on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest, and much, much more. (Hint: We make it pretty easy to earn these points...so take advantage!)
$100 = 100 Points = $1 Spent Earned Cash back
Here are a few rules and then check out our handy chart below to see how you can start earning rewards points today!
- You earn 100 points for every $100 that you spend!
- 100 points = $1 cash back to you!
- Points must be used within 6 months from the date earned, at this point they will expire and you will no longer be able to redeem them.
- There is no limit on how many points you can redeem at a time!
- You must have an account with us to earn and redeem points.
- Not all orders and purchases with Roberts will qualify to earn reward points. Purchases made for business, corporate, government or EDU accounts may not qualify for points and orders placed over the phone may not qualify. Roberts reserves the right to modify this reward policy at any time.
- Rewards points may not be used to purchase gift cards for Roberts Camera or UsedPhotoPro
Points Limits Create an Account (required to earn points) 250 One-time Send a product to a friend 5 Unlimited Have a birthday (must provide a birthday in your account) 100 Once a year automatically Like, tweet, or pin a product page 5 2 per day each Share a purchase on FB or Twitter 10 Once per day each
How We Handle Preorders
We do our best to reflect the price you will be charged to complete your purchase once stock arrives, but due to occasional changes from our manufacturers prices are subject to change until we have the item ready for delivery.
- Your preorder with Roberts adds your name to a waitlist for this equipment. You do not have to pay any money to be added to our waitlist.
- When this product arrives in our warehouse, we will contact you directly to determine if you would like to move forward with the purchase of this product.
- At that time, you will be provided with pricing and a delivery time frame.