Nikon D3400 with 18-55mm VR Lens
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Welcome to photography.
Before the D3400, you chose your smartphone camera for convenience. Zooming was clumsy. Shooting in low light was nearly impossible. Capturing fast action was a game of luck. But after the D3400, you'll see that you were compromising image quality. That some of the greatest photos happen when the light is low. That fast action can be frozen in perfect clarity. And that a camera and a smartphone can work together in harmony to make the photos you share absolutely amazing.
Photos and videos captured with the D3400 and a superb NIKKOR lens are as vibrant and lifelike as the moments they preserve. Shoot in extremely low light without a problem. Freeze fast-action in its tracks. Create portraits with rich, natural skin tones and beautifully blurred backgrounds. The photos you share will amaze everyone—even yourself.
Breathtaking image quality
24.2MP sensor with no optical low-pass filter
Flawless low-light photos
Native ISO range from 100–25,600
The speed to freeze time
EXPEED 4 image processing
Nikon SnapBridge connectivity
Nikon SnapBridge: Camera, smartphone and cloud in perfect harmony
SnapBridge has changed the way cameras and smartphones work together—and only Nikon has it. Take a picture with the D3400 and it's automatically transferred to your compatible smartphone or tablet, ready to share. SnapBridge works seamlessly with NIKON IMAGE SPACE, a cloud storage and sharing site, to back-up your photos and to help you create and share albums with your friends and family. The future of photo sharing is here.
Easily pairs with up to five smart devices; always connected.
Photos automatically appear on your smart device.
Create and share albums on the go with a free NIKON IMAGE SPACE account.
Peace of mind
Backups are automatically stored in the cloud on NIKON IMAGE SPACE.
A camera designed for you
Compact and lightweight, the D3400 is designed to go everywhere you go. Even first-time DLSR owners will quickly feel at home—the camera's controls are smartly laid out for comfort and intuitive control. The bright optical viewfinder provides a sharp, glare-free view of the world, and the comfortable grip enables precise handling.
The gateway to better photography
The D3400 makes photography easy and fun, freeing you to focus on your natural talents—framing great shots, anticipating special moments and finding unique perspectives in everyday scenes. As your abilities grow (and they will grow) you can take complete creative control of the D3400.
Capture the sights and sounds
At the touch of a button, the D3400 records dazzling 1080/60p Full HD video. Nikon's new AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens uses a stepping motor for smooth and quiet autofocusing, so only the sounds of the moment are recorded with D3400's internal mic. Create time-lapse videos, ultra-smooth slow motion sequences and more.
Change your perspective
Legendary NIKKOR lenses have long been the benchmark of optical excellence, and every lens offers an inspiring new view of the world. Grow your capabilities.
Discover your style
Nikon's exciting Picture Controls make it easy to get creative with your photos and videos. Choose from six preset options that enhance the color and tonal characteristics of your images, then customize selections for your own personal style.
The Nikon SnapBridge application must be installed on a compatible smart device before it can be used with this camera.
SnapBridge App Requirements: Android 5.0 or later or 6.0.1 or later. A device with Bluetooth 4.0 or later (i.e., a device that supports Bluetooth Smart Ready/Low Energy) is required.
In The Box
- D3400 Camera Body
- EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- MH-24 Quick Charger
- DK-25 Rubber Eyecup
- AN-DC3 Camera Strap
- BF-1B Body Cap
- AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
- LC-55A 55mm Snap-On Front Lens Cap
- Rear Lens Cap
|Mounts||Nikon F (DX)|
|Crop Factor||1.5x (APS-C)|
|Best Available Video Mode||HD (1080)|
|Memory Card Type||SD / SDHC / SDXC|
|Type||Single-lens reflex digital camera|
|Lens Mount||Nikon F bayonet mount|
|Picture Angle||Nikon DX format (Effective picture angle 1.5x [Approx.] conversion factor)|
|Effective Pixels (Megapixels)||24.2 million|
|Sensor Size||23.5 mm x 15.6 mm|
|Image Sensor Format||DX|
|Image Sensor Type||CMOS|
|Total Pixels||24.7 million|
|Dust-Reduction System||Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX-D software required)|
|Dust-Off Reference Photo||Yes|
|Image Area (pixels)||
(L) 6,000 x 4,000
(M) 4,496 x 3,000
(S) 2,992 x 2,000
|File Format Still Images||
Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW) |
JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression
NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats
|Card Slot||1 Secure Digital (SD)|
Compliant with DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0 |
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format)
EXIF 2.3 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras)
|Viewfinder||Eye-level Pentamirror Single-Lens Reflex viewfinder|
|Viewfinder Frame Coverage||
95% Horizontal |
95% Vertical (Approx.)
|Viewfinder Magnification||0.85x (Approx.)|
|Viewfinder Eyepoint||18mm (-1.0m¯¹)|
|Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment||-1.7 to + 0.5m¯¹|
|Focusing Screen||Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screen|
|Reflex Mirror||Quick-return type|
|Lens Aperture||Instant-return type|
|Lens Compatibility at a Glance***||Autofocus is available with AF-P and type E and G AF-S lenses|
This camera supports autofocus with AF-P and type E and G AF-S lenses only. |
AF NIKKOR for F3AF not Supported.
AI-P NIKKOR: All Functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
Electronic rangefinder can be used if Maximum Aperture is f/5.6 or Faster.
IX NIKKOR lenses cannot be used.
Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function.
Other AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
Type D PC NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and some Shooting Modes.
Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: all functions supported except autofocus.
|Shutter Type||Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane|
|Shutter Speed||1/4000 to 30 sec.|
|Fastest Shutter Speed||1/4000 sec.|
|Slowest Shutter Speed||30 sec.|
|Flash Sync Speed||Up to 1/200 sec.|
|Shutter Release Modes||
Quick Response Remote Mode
Single-frame [S] mode
|Frame Advance Rate||Up to 5 fps (manual focus, mode M or S, shutter speed 1/250 sec or faster, and other settings at default values)|
|Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution||5 frames per second|
2, 5, 10, 20 sec.; 1 to 9 exposures |
Timer duration electronically controlled
|Exposure Metering System||TTL exposure metering using 420-pixel RGB sensor|
Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8 mm circle in center of frame|
Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type E and G lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses)
Spot: Meters 3.5 mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point
0 to 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering at ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20°C/68°F) |
2 to 20 EV (Spot metering at ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens at 20°C/68°F)
|Exposure Meter Coupling||CPU|
Aperture-Priority (A) |
Auto (flash off)
Programmed Auto with flexible Program (P)
Shutter-Priority Auto (S)
Auto [Flash Off]
Special Effects Modes (night vision; super vivid; pop; photo illustration; toy camera effect; miniature effect; selective color; silhouette; high key; low key)
|Exposure Compensation||±5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV in P, S, A, M, Scene, and Night Vision modes|
|Exposure Lock||Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button|
Selected Picture Control can be Modified
|ISO Sensitivity||ISO 100 - 25,600|
|Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity||100|
|Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity||25,600|
|High ISO Noise Reduction||
|Single-Point AF Mode||Yes|
|Dynamic AF Mode||Number of AF points: 11 (3D-tracking)|
|Auto-Area AF Mode||Yes|
|Autofocus System||Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection|
|Detection Range||-1 to 19 EV (ISO 100, 68°F/20°C)|
Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status |
Manual focus (MF): Electronic rangefinder can be used
Focus can be locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button |
Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF)
Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A) |
Face-Priority AF available in Live View only and D-Movie only
Full-time Servo (AF-A) available in Live View only and D-Movie only
Manual (M) with electronic rangefinder
Normal area available in Live View and D-Movie only
Predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status
Single-servo AF (AF-S)
Wide area available in Live View and D-Movie only
|Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points||11|
|Autofocus Sensitivity||-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F)|
|Flash Control||TTL: i-TTL flash control using 420-pixel RGB sensor is available with built-in flash; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix and center-weighted metering, standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR with spot metering|
|Flash Sync Modes||
Auto with red-eye reduction
Auto slow sync
Auto slow sync with red-eye reduction
Rear-curtain with slow sync
Red-Eye reduction with slow sync
|Flash Compensation||Can be adjusted by -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV in P, S, A, M, and scene modes|
|Flash-ready Indicator||Lights when built-in flash or optional flash unit is fully charged; flashes after flash is fired at full output|
|Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)||CLS Supported|
|Flash Sync Terminal||Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 (available separately)|
Fluorescent (7 types)
|Live View Shooting||Yes|
|Live View Lens Servo||
Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F) |
Manual focus (MF)
|Live View AF-Area Mode||
Face-priority AF |
|Live View Autofocus||Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)|
|Live View Scene Auto Selector||
Auto mode |
Auto (flash off) mode
|Movie Metering||TTL exposure metering using main image sensor|
|Movie Maximum Recording Time||
20 minutes at highest quality |
29 minutes 59 seconds at normal quality
|Movie File Format||MOV|
|Movie Video Compression||H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding|
|Movie Audio Recording Format||Linear PCM|
Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps |
Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps
Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps
Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps
Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps
HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps
HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps
Built-in microphone, monaural |
Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted
|Monitor Size||3.0 in. diagonal|
|Monitor Resolution||921,000 Dots|
|Monitor Type||Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD|
|Monitor Angle of View||170 -degree wide-viewing angle|
|Monitor Adjustments||Brightness adjustment|
Auto Image Rotation |
Full-Frame and Thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images or calendar)
Playback Face Zoom
Playback with Zoom
Playback Zoom Cropping
|In-Camera Image Editing||
Color Outline |
NEF (RAW) Processing
HDMI output: Type C mini-pin HDMI connector |
Hi-Speed USB; connection to built-in USB port is recommended
|Wi-Fi Functionality||Eye-Fi Compatible|
Bluetooth Specification Version 4.1
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional)
|Date, Time and Daylight Savings Time Settings||Yes|
|World Time Setting||Yes|
|Battery / Batteries||EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery|
|Battery Life (shots per charge)||1,200 shots (CIPA)|
|AC Adapter||EH-5b AC Adapter; requires EP-5A Power Connector (available separately)|
|Battery Charger||MH-24 Quick Charger|
|Tripod Socket||1/4 in.|
|Approx. Dimensions (Width x Height x Depth)||4.9 in. (124 mm) x 3.9 in. (98 mm) x 3.0 in. (75.5 mm)|
14 oz. (395 g)|
camera body only
0–40 °C (+32–104 °F) |
Less than 85% (no condensation)
Roberts Camera is happy to offer our customers a flexible financing option powered by FuturePay. It’s secure, convenient, and easy to use. Just select FuturePay when you check out so you can buy now and pay later.
Apply and Check Out in Seconds
You can easily apply for an account in seconds when you check out. And with monthly payments starting as low as $25/month, you can buy now and pay later for your purchases at your own pace.
No Hidden Fees
At the end of every billing period you can pay your balance in full or carry your balance a month longer for as little as $5/month. Simple and transparent so you can plan for the future.
Safe and Secure
You can apply for financing without worrying about your online safety. FuturePay keeps your information secure by using the latest in fraud prevention security tools.
Questions about FuturePay services, financing, or your FuturePay account should be directed to FuturePay. Roberts Camera / UsedPhotoPro do not provide any of these services directly. To contact FuturePay, use the information here:
Roberts’ flexible financing option is powered by FuturePay.
We understand that your shipping options can sometimes be confusing and you may have questions. We hope that this explanation helps to clarify how your item will arrive to you. Above all, we make every effort to save you money and get your product to you quickly and in fantastic condition.
Shipping information for products on robertscamera.com and usedphotopro.com:
- Your order of new products over $100 will ship free of charge. The free shipping method will come via the standard method of our choice of carrier.
- All USED items in condition ‘GOOD’ or better ship free regardless of price
- Our $100 order total is calculated after all rebates, coupon codes and additional discounts have been applied. Gift cards, freight charges and taxes do not count towards the $100 total.
- *Exceptions to this rule – exceptionally large items (ex: large bags, savage paper, etc.) that are dimensionally weighted by our shipping carriers will not qualify for free shipping and will incur shipping charges
- *Free shipping applies only to the contiguous 48 states. Orders to Alaska, Hawaii, and international locations do not qualify for our free shipping promotions.
- *Any upgraded or expedited shipping choice by the customer will incur an additional charge
- *Items that are special order or drop-shipped from our manufacturers and vendors may be ineligible for free shipping
- *Used items in FAIR or INOPERABLE condition are not eligible for free shipping
- PO Boxes are NOT eligible for free shipping
Due to an increased risk of fraud in the electronics industry, most items ship with signature required on delivery.
The Carriers We Use
We will ship your order in the most cost effective manner available to us.
We utilize multiple carriers to get you the best rate. Those options include, but are not limited to:
- Ground Delivery
- 3rd Day
- 2nd Day
- Next Day
- Home Delivery
- Ground Delivery
- 3rd Day
- 2nd Day
- Next Day
- First Class Mail
- Media Mail
- Priority Mail
- Priority Mail Express
A Few Additional Things To Note
- Shipments to PO boxes can only be shipped via US Postal Service
- PO Boxes are NOT eligible for free shipping
- International shipments may incur additional shipping charges. You will be notified via email of those charges and you can chose at that time to accept or decline. Taxes, duties and other fees may be charged by your destination country. Roberts is not responsible for those fees, nor does Roberts have the ability to estimate those fees. You will be charged all shipping and additional fees associated with any item returned because of non-delivery. This includes but is not limited to: Failure to pay said duties and taxes, incorrect address, not available to receive package in timely manner resulting in package being returned to Roberts or Used Photo Pro.
- Gift Cards ship USPS 1st class or you can use our on-line electronic delivery option and an email will be sent with gift card information
- You will receive an email with your order tracking number once your order has shipped
- Order cut-off times:
- Monday – Friday: Your order will ship same day if your order is placed by 1:00pm EST
- Saturday/Sunday: Any order placed after 1pm on Friday will ship on Monday
ALL ORDERS ARE SUBJECT TO APPROVAL BY OUR PROCESSING DEPARTMENT. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME IF YOUR ORDER MAY BE DELAYED.
Our Return PoliciesFor the first 14 days do not complete your manufacturer's warranty cards!
At Roberts Camera / UsedPhotoPro, we understand that sometimes you might have a change of heart and decide that you need to return your product. Therefore, we are proud to offer a 14-day Hassle Free Return Policy. If you would like to return your purchase within fourteen (14) days of receiving it, please contact our customer service department so that we may assist you and issue you a return authorization. Sending merchandise without authorization may delay your return. Items returned must be in the same condition that they were received and must include all items (including box and accessories) that they shipped with in order to be eligible for a full refund.
- All returned merchandise must be accompanied by a sales receipt and be returned within 14 days of purchase.
- All used items over $1500.00 are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
- No refunds or exchanges on special order merchandise.
- All merchandise must be returned in its original packaging. If a warranty card was included, it must be returned BLANK and not completed. Once the warranty card is completed, we cannot help you by exchanging your item and any problems will have to be handled as warranty claims with the manufacturer.
- Merchandise purchased 'As Is' may not be returned for any reason.
- After 14 days, products in new condition will be subject to manufacturer's warranty and the warranty card included with your product should be consulted for information on getting your product serviced or replaced. Roberts Camera will happily mediate this process for you. If you so desire, see our Repair Policies below for more details.
- After 14 days, merchandise cannot be returned to Roberts as new stock.
- After 14 days, functional products may be returned to us as used stock. The value you will be offered for products in this case will be determined by current used market value. To request a quote on the value of your used gear, please click here
- Sales of all sensitized materials including film, paper, video and audio tape are final. There will be no returns, refunds or exchanges on these items.
- Drones: No returns on drones unless due to manufacturer defect. If defective, they must return prior to 7 business days of receiving the item. All repairs on DJI drones must go through dji.com.
Initiate a Return
If there are any questions or problems with your order, please feel free to contact your salesperson or the following web services departments directly, as we will work to get you completely taken care of:
- If your product was ordered via robertscamera.com - please contact us at 1-800-726-5544 or firstname.lastname@example.org to process your return
- If your product was ordered via usedphotopro.com or our eBay store - please contact us at 317-917-7055 or email@example.com to process your return
- If your product was ordered via Amazon, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have a product that you need to return due to initial defect or otherwise, please call us at 1-800-726-5544 to obtain a Return Authorization Number (RA#). If an RA# is not obtained, it may delay any credits or replacements requested.
We know that during the holiday season, you might be purchasing some gifts that cannot always be properly tested out within our standard 14 day return policy. That is why during the holiday season we offer an extended return policy for your convenience! For any purchase made between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, please indicate in the gift message area that your purchase is a gift. This will qualify you to return any purchase made during the holiday season NO LATER THAN JANUARY 10th. Your item must be in the same condition that is was received and be returned with the receipt as well as the original packaging to receive a full refund. After January 10th, merchandise cannot be returned to Roberts as new stock. All other return policies apply.
Our Rewards Program
Roberts and UsedPhotoPro appreciate all of our customers very much. We know that you have many, many choices when you shop and we are grateful that you have chosen to place your trust in us. And to reward you for that, we think that you should get a little something back when you shop with us! Therefore, we are very pleased to roll out an updated rewards program to not only say thank you for shopping with us, but also to thank you for sharing us with your friends and family!
Our rewards program gives you the opportunity to earn real money towards your next purchase through signing up for an account with us, shopping, leaving reviews, sharing your purchases and favorite products on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest, and much, much more. (Hint: We make it pretty easy to earn these points...so take advantage!)
$100 = 100 Points = $1 Spent Earned Cash back
Here are a few rules and then check out our handy chart below to see how you can start earning rewards points today!
- You earn 100 points for every $100 that you spend!
- 100 points = $1 cash back to you!
- Points must be used within 6 months from the date earned, at this point they will expire and you will no longer be able to redeem them.
- There is no limit on how many points you can redeem at a time!
- You must have an account with us to earn and redeem points.
- Not all orders and purchases with Roberts will qualify to earn reward points. Purchases made for business, corporate, government or EDU accounts may not qualify for points and orders placed over the phone may not qualify. Roberts reserves the right to modify this reward policy at any time.
- Rewards points may not be used to purchase gift cards for Roberts Camera or UsedPhotoPro
Points Limits Create an Account (required to earn points) 250 One-time Send a product to a friend 5 Unlimited Have a birthday (must provide a birthday in your account) 100 Once a year automatically Like, tweet, or pin a product page 5 2 per day each Share a purchase on FB or Twitter 10 Once per day each
How We Handle Preorders
We do our best to reflect the price you will be charged to complete your purchase once stock arrives, but due to occasional changes from our manufacturers prices are subject to change until we have the item ready for delivery.
- Your preorder with Roberts adds your name to a waitlist for this equipment. You do not have to pay any money to be added to our waitlist.
- When this product arrives in our warehouse, we will contact you directly to determine if you would like to move forward with the purchase of this product.
- At that time, you will be provided with pricing and a delivery time frame.